Friday, August 30, 2013

In Memory of Daisy

Our Daisy crossed over the Rainbow Bridge last evening at the ripe old age of 16. She was always a petite lady, but her weight had dropped to 10 pounds, has extreme difficulty getting her back legs to work, and the coup de gras...she stopped eating. We were fortunate to have had her in our lives for six years and were with her at the end to ease her crossing.

Daisy was the first dog I ever transported for CSAC. Valerie called me at work soon after becoming a volunteer and asked if I could pick up two dogs who were just rescued from the Montgomery Animal Shelter. They had been dropped off at the Pasadena PetSmart for baths and grooming, so I would have to pick them up there and transport to Tail End Kennel. I didn't even have carriers yet, but agreed to pick them up. Daisy laid on the back seat. From the time I got them settled to the time we made it out of the shopping center, Daisy was sound asleep. In fact, she slept so soundly for so long, I was afraid she had died. I could just hear myself telling Valerie the first dog I handled for CSAC died while I had her. Luckily, she woke up when my vehicle reached the kennel.

Beth and I agreed to foster Daisy and took her to several White Flint adoption shows, where she barked and growled at any person who came within five feet of her. Needless to say, she wasn't adopted from the show. But she was a completely different dog in our home. Warm, funny and prone to lay on any pillow she could find; hence her nickname "Princess of the Pillows". Kate, our college freshman, asked if she was eligible to adopt Daisy...and as the say, "the rest is history."

Daisy had been "thrown away" twice before CSAC rescued her. We like to think the last six years of her life were a happy, safe time for her. She certainly taught us a lot about love. We will miss her, but our other six won't let us brood too long.

1 comment:

  1. What a special hound, thank you for sharing and giving her a happy place to live for 6 years :-)

    ReplyDelete